Buffalo Trace Eggnog Recipe
Ho Ho! It is that time of the year again!
Christmas is here, and is there a better way to spend the holiday than over some drinks, preferably alcoholic ones? Quick reminder, Christmas parties are also around the corner, so why not make them memorable with our popular liquor gift baskets this year?
Eggnog has become the traditional Christmas drink of choice all over North America, and rightfully so. The ageless drink has earned its place on the Christmas table. So to celebrate this beloved drink, we will let you in on our favorite recipe for eggnog featuring our Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
We will also include a bonus bourbon cookie recipe at the end of the article, so stay tuned till the end! We aim to make this year’s Christmas special for you and your family.
First thing first…
What is Eggnog?
Eggnog is a creamy drink typically made with eggs (yes, you guessed it!), sugar, spices, and a base liquor of choice. The drink is mainly served around the Christmas holidays. Eggnog features prominently in all our most memorable Christmas movies (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation anyone? Yes, that's eggnog in those Wally World cup).
Eggnog drink is sold in most grocery stores but can be made at home using simple-to-follow recipes.
What is the History of Eggnog?
Eggnog’s origin is unclear, but the drink likely originated in England in the 17th Century.
The early settlers to America popularized the drink. The popularity of eggnog may be attributed to the availability of milk and eggs from the early settlers, primarily from farmers. Rum was also readily available from the sugarcane farms in the Caribbean.
The drink was so popular that George Washington had his recipe that he used to prepare eggnog for his Christmas guests!
Eggnog Recipe Featuring Buffalo Trace Bourbon
To make the special egg nog, we will need the following ingredients.
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1.5 cups of Buffalo Trace Bourbon
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- One tablespoon of grated nutmeg
1. Separate the egg whites from the yolks in two different bowls
2. Add half of the sugar to the bowl containing egg whites and whisk until they turn white and frothy. You can use an electric beater set at medium speed to quicken the process.
3. In the bowl with the egg yolks, add the remaining sugar and whisk it until it dissolves.
4. Combine the two egg mixtures. To do this, you will want to fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites gently. Folding it in ensures that the egg white maintains the initial fluffiness.
5. Pour the Buffalo Trace Bourbon, milk, and half of the cream into the egg mixture and whisk or blend it.
6. Beat the remaining cream in a separate bowl until it is almost stiff.
7. Pour the whipped cream into the mixture, and your eggnog is ready for serving.
8. Transfer the eggnog to a serving bowl.
9. Refrigerate it, preferably overnight.
This recipe can serve about 24 drinks and is perfect for a large family gathering.
Serve the eggnog in your serving glasses or teacups.
Sprinkle your grated nutmeg over the top
Cooking Your Eggnog
Some people prefer to cook their eggnog mixture to enhance flavor and thicken the drink. Here’s how to do it:
Place the eggnog mixture in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Allow it to cool down.
Store in the refrigerator to chill
Serve it with grated nutmeg or your preferred garnish.
BONUS: Bourbon Cookie Recipe
It’s the holiday season! So, why enjoy only the Eggnog with Buffalo Trace when you could also couple it with Bourbon Cookies! It’s been a long year, right? Let’s make some cookies, enjoy, and bid goodbye to the year with a great drink as you usher in the new year.
15 - 18 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 1/2 ice cube
- 2.5 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons Buffalo Trace Bourbon
1. Put the butter into a saucepan and melt it over medium heat. Once it has all melted, remove it from the fire and swirl it until it has a rich brown color.
2. Transfer the melted butter to a bowl and add in the ice cubes, whisk them in, and then refrigerate it.
3. Mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and put it aside.
4. Mix brown sugar, egg, and sugar. Add the melted butter and vanilla from the fridge and whisk the ingredients together.
5. Add in the flour and mix it all using a wooden spoon.
6. Add the Buffalo Trace bourbon to the mixture.
7. Stir in the pecans and make a firm dough.
8. Place the dough in a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
9. Place teaspoon-sized dough servings into the baking cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
10. Remove the cookies and set them to cool and harden.
Serve your Bourbon Cookies with your Buffalo Trace Bourbon eggnog.
How Long Does Eggnog Keep?
Eggnog made with pasteurized eggs should be consumed in five to seven days. Eggnog made with unpasteurized eggs should be finished in two days to avoid the risk of contracting salmonella.
Will “Aged” Eggnog Make Me Sick?
Research has shown that aged eggnog is safe to drink. If your eggnog is older than three weeks, the alcohol content will most likely kill any salmonella in the raw eggs.
How to Store Eggnog
It would be best to store your eggnog immediately after use at the back of your refrigerator. Placing the eggnog on the fridge door increases its risk of going bad due to frequent fridge opening.
Can Eggnog Make You Drunk?
Yes, eggnog will get you drunk owing to the alcohol being a vital ingredient during its preparation. You can opt to skip adding alcohol when preparing it at home if you are a non-alcoholic drinker.
Enjoy Your Christmas With Our Buffalo Trace Bourbon Eggnog
What better way to bond with family members visiting for the holidays than in the kitchen making eggnogs and cookies? The two recipes are easy to make and guaranteed to lift your spirit and make your Christmas celebration the best holiday ever!
Liven up your festivities with our Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Visit our store today to purchase our Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Be sure to check out our wide range of bourbons to add to your collection. While you are at it, take advantage of our offer and build your own liquor gift basket for your loved ones (we highly recommend adding Buffalo Trace!)